Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Concatenated Order of Hoo-Hoo

Say WHAT? You mean you’ve never heard of this august organization? Frankly, neither had I until this morning.

I followed a link to a description of the Great Missouri Treasure Hunt and while browsing the Missouri Digital Heritage collections, found Celebrating the Louisiana Purchase: The 1904 World’s Fair. My great-grandfather Ambrose B. Martindale, a lumberman and sawmill owner from Cushing, Texas, attended that 1904 fair, so I was curious to learn what exhibits he might have visited while there.

When I entered “lumber” as a search term, I only got one hit: “House of Hoo-Hoo Built Twice”! Apparently the clubhouse of the Concatenated Order of Hoo-Hoo had burned down in June 1904 and was rebuilt in under 30 days. Click here to see a copy of the program given to visitors and then on the Next arrow to see an official House of Hoo-Hoo pass and a photograph of the house.

Further research led me to the official Hoo-Hoo International website. Founded in 1892, membership in the fraternal organization is open to individuals in the forest services industry. Their membership brochure states:
The spirit of Hoo-Hoo is expressed in the nine fundamental values that encourage members to be fraternal, helpful, grateful, friendly, tolerant, progressive, industrious, loyal, and ethical. Hoo-Hoo believes that these nine points are the building blocks of the "Golden Rule". Hoo-Hoo members are expected to practice these principles in both their business and personal lives.
This is their logo:


While I never had the opportunity to know my great-grandfather, I have the impression that he was a rather reserved man. I can’t quite imagine him being a card-carrying Hoo-Hoo, but who's to say?


© 2011 Denise Spurlock

2 comments:

  1. This club sounds like something Dr. Seuss would have thought up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely one of the most unusual things to turn up in my genealogical research! I've been trying to find out whether A.B. belonged but haven't had any success with that - yet!

      Delete