Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun – Where I’m From

Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings offered the following Saturday Night Genealogy Fun challenge last weekend:
 

1) Write a poem about "Where I'm From" using the template found at the website http://www.swva.net/fred1st/wif.htm

2) Tell us about it in a blog post of your own, in a comment to this blog post, or in a Google Plus or Facebook note.

I know it's Tuesday, but I was with my son's family at the Kern River over the weekend. In addition, poetry has never been my strong suit; even though I knew I would struggle with this challenge, I wanted to do it. So here's "where I'm from"!

I am from the land of sunshine, from Hostess berry pies and Dr. Pepper.

I am from the typical suburban tract house with two dogs and a cat and a doughboy swimming pool in the backyard. 

I am from a magical, green clearing in the Alaskan woods, from the fragrance of Mama’s roses. 

I am from Mayflower passengers and German immigrants, from those who worked with their hands and those who farmed lands, from Spurlocks and Martindales, Sniders and Yawmans. 

I am from book readers and music lovers, from seamstresses and shoemakers. 

From “while you’re up” and “oh, what a beautiful morning.” 

I am from “go to Sunday school” Christianity and now a believer in nature and all things good and beautiful. 

I’m from the Golden State, by way of Texas and Louisiana, Minnesota and Kansas, from sea to shining sea, and from across the Atlantic.

I’m from creamed tuna on toast, lemon meringue pie and divinity. 

From Myrtle and Bea who, when they laughed, laughed all over, and from Ambrose and Jack whose reserve made them a mystery. 

I am from too few treasures saved and so have become the memorykeeper.



© 2011 Denise Spurlock

No comments:

Post a Comment