Friday, September 9, 2011

Friend of Friends Friday - Will of John Caskey 1785

Following is an image and transcription of the 1785 will of John Caskey of Craven County, South Carolina. It has been transcribed exactly as written.

In the Name of God Amen, I John Caskey of Craven Countey
otherwise Chaster in Camden District and State of South Carolina planter
Being Mindfull of the unsertintey of this trasitery Woreld & Knowing that
that it is Appointed for all Men once to Die do Make Constitute and Appoi
int this to be my Last Will and testament Being of perfect Mind Memory
and understanding first and principally I Recommend my Soul to the
Almightey God Who Give it Nothing Doubting but at the Resurection I
Shall stand in my flesh and see God and as to my Bodey I Recomend to the
Dust there to be Buried in A Christian and Desant like manner at the
Discretion of my Executors hereafter Named, and as toucing Such Worldy
Estate as it hath pleased God to bless me with I Devide and Dispose of in Maner
and form following that is to Say first and prinsabelly, I allow all my
Lawfull Debtes and Demands to be paid by my Executors, and my Nego fellowe
Named [blank] my Waggin and still and two horses I allow to be disposed of at
the Discretion of my Executors, I bequeth to my well beloved Wife Ester Caskey
one hundred acres of this plantation Whereon I now live with all the
Improvements During her Widowhood and at the End of that to fall in to
My Dearly beloved Daughter Izebell and I do leave and bequeth all the
Remainder of my Land Contaning three hundred and fiftey Acres Equally
to be Diveded Amongest my four Sones, I bequeth to my well beloved
Daughter Marey Caskey my Negro Wench Named Keat and I allow all my
plantation tools to be Continued on the plantaton During my well beloved
Wifes Widowhood and as for the Remainder of all my Estate not before-
mentioned I leave it Equally to be Diveded Amongest my Six Children
and my Beloved Wife Each one an Equall proportion, and I do Constitute
and Ordain and Appoint Archibald Coulton and Andrew Graham and my
well beloved Wife Ester Caskey to my Lawfull Executors of  this my Last
Will and Testement, Signed Sealed Published and prounenced and
Declared to be my last Will and Testement in presantes of us ^this th19 day
of September Anodomni 1785.

David Graham   }                                                         John Caskey {LS}
Andrew Graham}
John Graham      }

 

[Source: Camden, Kershaw County, South Carolina, will of John Caskey, dated 19 September 1785; “South Carolina Probate Records, Bound Volumes, 1671-1977,” digital images, FamilySearch (http://www.familysearch.org : accessed 17 July 2011); the Caskey document is imaged as p. 342 of documents within the section “Camden, Kershaw, Estate record books, 1782-1823, Vol. A1).]


© 2011 Denise Spurlock

No comments:

Post a Comment