Friday, December 2, 2011

Advent Calendar - December 2 - Christmas Dinner

Our family’s Christmas dinner menu was the same as at Thanksgiving:

  • Roast turkey
  • Stuffing
  • Jellied cranberry sauce (yep, out of a can)
  • Mashed potatoes and gravy
  • Sweet potatoes
  • Green beans
  • Dinner rolls (if someone didn’t forget to put them in the oven!)
  • Fruit salad (assembled as a group activity on Christmas Eve)
  • Pumpkin pie

Public domain photo from
Wikimedia Commons.
(I only take pictures of pies!)

Nothing out-of-the-ordinary or unusual…and it hasn’t changed much since I was a kid!

We tried having roast beef once for Christmas, and it just didn’t seem right. My son and his wife like to have a ham as well as a turkey, and I bake a lemon meringue pie in addition to pumpkin pies.

One would think that our crazy mixed-up German-English-Cuban-Mexican-Tongan family would have more ethnic dishes on the menu! Maybe I’ll see if I can get some new traditions started.



 © 2011 Denise Spurlock

2 comments:

  1. It's a good meal just the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Wendy, it is a good meal, and we are blessed to be able to enjoy it as a family.

    ReplyDelete