Monday, April 9, 2012

Amanuensis Monday - Land Grant to Samuel Martindale 1799

On his TransylvanianDutch blog, John Newmark defines an amanuensis as “a person employed to write out what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.” For more information about this daily blogging prompt, see John’s post Amanuensis – Why?.

I have amassed quite a collection of scans of handwritten documents related to my ancestors—primarily marriage records, deeds, and wills. As I have been transcribing these documents, it occurred to me that most of these documents were not actually written by my ancestors, but rather dictated to someone else, and then transcribed by a clerk into official records.

Last week I transcribed a grant to William Martindell and explained my working hypothesis that William Martindell/Martindale might be the father of my paternal 2nd great-grandfather Howell Brewer Martindale. This week I have transcribed a land grant from the State of North Carolina to Samuel Martindale in 1799. I believe that Samuel Martindale may be the father of William; or, although I don’t think it’s likely, he could be the father of Howell. I have not been successful in finding much information about these Martindales who lived in Moore County, North Carolina, but I continue to searching for enough evidence to either prove, or disprove, my hypothesis.

“Book 102. State of North Carolina.

No. 1199. Know Ye that We have granted unto Samuel Martindale One hundred Acres of Land in Moore County on the North of Deep river Beginning at a post oak by a pine and post oak pointers on his own line of 200 Acres running thence West as his own line sixteen Chains and seventy links to a stake by a hiccory and a red oak saplin thence South as his other line six chains and fifteen links to a stake by a pine and a post oak in Lawlers line of the trap track, thence as the line of it South forty five East eighteen Chains and eighty links to a stake by two post oaks and a dogwood Lawlers third Corner of 150 Acres, thence South twenty five twenty seven Chains, thence North thirty Chains thence North seventy West twelve chains, thence South thirty nine West five Chains, thence North seventy two West five Chains, thence North fourteen Chains, thence direct to the Beginning To Hold to the said Samuel Martindale his heirs and assigns for ever dated the 7th of June 1799.

Will. White Secretary                                    W.R.Davie”

Source: Moore County, North Carolina, Record of Grants, Volume 1, page 293,
State of North Carolina to Samuel Martindale, entered 7 June 1799;
Family History Library microfilm 546530.


© 2012 Denise Spurlock

No comments:

Post a Comment