Saturday, July 28, 2012

2012 SNGF Genealympics - Event 1 - Descendants


Earlier today, Randy Seaver announced the opening of the 2012 SNGF (Saturday Night Genealogy Fun) Genealympics; see his post here for more info on this event. 

The Flag of Me

My first event is the descendants' challenge that Randy described as follows:
Pick any one of your 16 great-great-grandparents, or one of your spouse's 16 great-great-grandparents.  How many descendants of that person do you have in your family tree records or database?  (Hint, a Descendants Report in your genealogy software should easily provide this number).

Medal Awards:

*  Bronze:  over 50 descendants
*  Silver:  over 100 descendants
*  Gold: over 150 descendants
*  Diamond:  over 200 descendants
*  Platinum:  over 250 descendants

Since I was working on my paternal 2nd great-grandfather James Forshee earlier today, I decided to use him for this event. Of his seven known children, three sons died during the Civil War without issue, so I was surprised to find that

I have 156 descendants of James Forshee in my database!
Woo hoo! A GOLD medal!

I really enjoy doing descendancy research, but have not spent too much time on this particular family line. Need to add that to the list of things to do!


I'll be posting about other events during the next two weeks.

© 2012 Denise Spurlock

No comments:

Post a Comment