Sunday, August 26, 2012

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Ahnentafel Roulette


For yesterday's Saturday Night Genealogy Fun, Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings presented the following challenge.

1) What year was one of your great-grandfathers born?  Divide this number by 50 and round the number off to a whole number. This is your "roulette number."
2) Use your pedigree charts or your family tree genealogy software program to find the person with that number in your ancestral name list (some people call it an "ahnentafel"). Who is that person, and what are his/her vital information?
3) Tell us three facts about that person in your ancestral name list with the "roulette number."
4) Write about it in a blog post on your own blog, in a Facebook status or a Google Stream post, or as a comment on this blog post.
5) If you do not have a person's name for your "roulette number" then spin the wheel again - pick a great-grandmother, a grandparent, a parent, a favorite aunt or cousin, yourself, or even your children!

Ahnentafel Roulette is one of my favorite activites, and I actually wrote a post yesterday. However, after posting, I realized my brain wasn’t functioning properly (blame it on the coming Blue Moon!) and my division skills were severely impaired. So I’m trying again today!

My great-grandfather John F. Spurlock was born in 1850 (at least according to my research); divided by 50 is 37. I don’t currently have a person with the number 37 in my ahnentafel report. So I chose the next person, #38, Hugh Hammontree, one of my paternal 3rd great-grandfathers.

Hugh Hammontree was born about 1802, probably in Blount County, Tennessee. He died about 1866 and is buried in an unmarked grave in Arcadia Cemetery, in Arcadia, Bienville Parish, Louisiana.

Three facts about Hugh:

1.      He married Rachel Caskey, probably in the early 1820s in Tennessee.
2.      Hugh and Rachel are believed to have had nine children, but only seven have been identified by name: Sherreldia Jane (my 2nd great-grandmother), John A., Sarah Anne, Rachel Elizabeth, Mary Delilah, Lucinda Adeline, and Hugh A.
3.      After Rachel’s death, Hugh married Nancy (Holland) Harrell on 29 November 1864, probably in Bienville Parish.


I can see that I need to devote some time to researching my Hammontrees -- so many ancestors, so little time!

© 2012 Denise Spurlock

No comments:

Post a Comment