Randy Seaver of GeneaMusings has issued the following mission for this week:
1) What day of the week was your Father born? Tell us how you found out.
2) What has happened in recorded history on your Father's birth date (day and month)? Tell us how you found out, and list five events.
3) What famous people have been born on your Father's birth date? Tell us how you found out, and list five of them.
4) Put your responses in your own blog post, in a comment on this blog post, or in a status or comment on Facebook.
My father, Jasper Jackson Spurlock, Jr., was born on 12 March 1912 in Jacksonville, Cherokee County, Texas.
He was born on a Tuesday. To find out, I used the Genealogy & History Research Assistant app that I have on my phone.
To answer the next question, I googled “March 12 in history” and selected the second result which took me to HistoryOrb.com. The site listed 182 historical events. After perusing the list, I selected the following:
· 1959 – The U.S. Congress approves Hawaii statehoodThe same site listed 284 famous birthdays on March 12 including the following individuals who were born in the same year as my father:
· 1894 – In Vicksburg, Mississippi, Coca-Cola is sold in bottles for the first time
· 1860 – Congress accepts preemption bill – free land in the West for colonists
· 1755 – First steam engine in America installed to pump water from a mine
· 1664 – First naturalization act in American colonies
· 1912 - James McKay, lord provost of Edinburgh
· 1912 - Kylie Tennant, novelist (Battlers, Lost Haven)
· 1912 - Paul Weston, Springfield Mass, orchestra leader (Jim Nabors Hour)
· 1912 - Irving Layton, Canadian poet (d. 2006)
To round out the list of birthdays, I would include the Girl Scouts who were founded on March 12, 1912. Because they shared the same “birthday,” Daddy always thought he should be named an honorary Girl Scout!
[Source: “This Day in History for 12th March,” HistoryOrb.com (http://www.historyorb.com/day/march/12 : accessed 13 July 2013)]
© 2013 Denise Spurlock