Friday, December 9, 2011

Advent Calendar - December 9 - The Nutcracker

Seeing a performance of Tchaikovsky’s Nutcracker is one of my favorite things to do during the Christmas season. It doesn’t matter to me whether it’s the Bolshoi Ballet or a children’s theater production—I love them all!

About ten years ago I took my granddaughter Krishawna to see the Inland Pacific Ballet's production at the Bridges Auditorium in Claremont, California. It was (I think) her first experience with a live performance of the ballet. I don’t have any pictures of the show itself, but I do have this photo of her just after I gave her the ticket:

Digital image. Copyright Denise Spurlock. 2011.

In 2006 Kris appeared in the San Pedro City Ballet’s production at the Warner Grand Theatre. She wasn't cast as Clara, but I know she enjoyed being part of the show!

When money is tight, I’m happy to watch the Nutcracker on television. A few years ago one of the cable channels ran a marathon of different productions, and we watched as many as we could!

Here’s a short clip from the Inland Pacific Ballet's 2010 performance of this timeless classic:





© 2011 Denise Spurlock

4 comments:

  1. The Nutcracker is one of my favorite ballets to watch and listen to - I've never seen it in person; only the many different renditions on TV and in shows/movies. I also like to just turn on a CD and listen to the music of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy, If you ever have a chance to see a live presentation, do go. It's a wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've also watched the marathon on television. I enjoyed each of them in one way or another. Some year I'd like to try a marathon of live performances in the area. I know that some weekends in December there are at least 4. It would certainly take some planning, but I think it would be fun (at least once).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, a marathon of live performances would be fun!

    ReplyDelete